Friday, September 18, 2009

It's hard to forgive, but I do.

With 68.7 percent of the population in South Carolina being White, it's no wonder that Joe Wilson has a completely different view from my own. When I put myself in his shoes, I can understand that his road has different signposts. I forgive his ignorance of my life and those who look like me. He can't know what he's never lived. He can't understand the plight of those who are less fortunate than he is. If he chose to make a detour and see the actual lives of those he seems to be against he might begin to understand. If he walked a mile in an immigrants shoes or spent a day waiting for medical care that he knew he couldn't afford, maybe he could see a side beyond his own. The percentage of Blacks living in South Carolina is around 28.5%. Hispanics make up about 4.1%. Does Joe Wilson have any Black or Hispanic friends? Who knows? It's easy to tear him down because of it. It's easy to tear anyone down when they or you've chosen a side instead of standing in the center and and taking in both halves of the whole. The fact that he doesn't feel it necessary, speaks to our societal ills. From the time we are able to think for ourselves we are trained to think like everyone else in our lives. We are taught that a person has to choose a side. Right or wrong, good or bad, mean or kind, we all learn to choose. The only thing you can't choose is your family for the most part. If you're family is White, it's possible that you are taught to fear those who don't look like you. If you're born Black, it's possible you are taught the same thing. Only the reactions are different. I believe that Joe Wilson is passionate about being who he was always meant to be. His disrespect to the President is a by-product of who he has always been. I don't agree with what Joe Wilson did, but allow him the right to do it. He alone is responsible for his actions and he alone must walk the road he's chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment